Bring Wylde Center’s environmental science or Farm to School classes to your campus! Our classes take advantage of your on-site resources, like your school garden, woods, nature walk, or stream to teach or reinforce standards that your students learn in the classroom. We also have many indoor classes available, which still give your students hands-on, experiential learning opportunities. We are happy to visit one class or a whole grade over the course of a day (or more, if needed).
Studies show that learning outdoors leads to better health, lower stress levels, increased motivation to learn, better behavior, and an increase in self-reliance, culminating in better grades. Having our educators come to you is a simple way to give more of your students the opportunity to experience these benefits.
Choose from our menu of classes below or our School Programs manager Dory Cooper at email@example.com to have a lesson tailored to the specific needs of your school.
Farm to School
Wylde Center offers Farm to School programming for the indoor and the outdoor classroom or garden. Our classroom component of Farm to School, which has many manifestations, gives students hands-on, experiential connections to their classroom standards while introducing them to new foods and teaching them the basics of gardening, food systems, and food preparation.
Through on-site programming, we deliver an exciting garden-based education that engages students’ minds and bodies in a hands-on learning experience.
Through the Farm to School Program, we offer:
- Garden Education: conducted by our trained Farm to School educators on site at your school. We show students not only how to plant, harvest, and prepare what we grow, but also how we relate to our food and the environment.
- Standards Based Lessons: We strive to work closely with teachers to link lessons to their ongoing curriculum and state standards for science, math, language arts, and many other subjects.
- Nutrition Education & Taste Tests: We offer school wide taste tests and hands on cooking and nutrition classes. The opportunity to try foods we grow, and other fresh produce, is a great way for students to build positive relationships with healthy foods in a fun environment.
- Ongoing Curriculum Development by our School Programs Manager and Education Director to constantly improve our program, match it to your school’s needs, and align it with the most current standards and practices.
Check Out This New Resource!
The Wylde Center now offers a monthly farm to school newsletter for teachers, parents, and other stakeholders. This monthly update will offer helpful information for school gardeners, like seasonal gardening tips, curriculum ideas, and professional development opportunities for teachers.
Current Farm to School Partner Schools
City Schools of Decatur
- College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center
- Frasier Center at Decatur High School
- Oakhurst Elementary
- Clairemont Elementary
- Glennwood Elementary
- Winnona Park Elementary School
- Westchester Elementary
- Renfroe Middle School
- Fifth Avenue Upper Elementary
- Talley Street Upper Elementary
Atlanta Public Schools
- Benteen Elementary
- Parkside Elementary
- Morningside Elementary
- Toomer Elementary
- Whitefoord Early Learning Academy
Farm to School Class Menu
See our lesson menu by grade below:
Environmental Science Programming
The Wylde Center brings our environmental science programming to your classroom or school green spaces!
All of our programs give your students the benefits of outdoor learning (like better health, lower stress levels, and increased motivation to learn), inspire a love and appreciation for nature, and cover topics outlined in state standards.
Through our in-school visits, your students will get an exciting, hands-on learning experience that will broaden their idea of where learning happens, helping them see the whole world as their classroom. Please contact Dory Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing.
Our Environmental Science classes offer:
- Indoor or Outdoor Education conducted by our highly trained educators.
- Standards Based Lesson tailored to the specific needs and resources of your class and aligned with state standards.
- Entire Units of Study Want to reinforce a whole unit, like Habitats or Rocks and Soils? Our educators can come to your school multiple times in a semester to deliver a series of classes that provide a comprehensive outdoor exploration of your classroom study.
The following is a sample course list for a fifth-grade life science unit:
- Vertebrates vs. Invertebrates (S5L1): Use your school’s woods or walk to a nearby greenspace to hunt for organisms and determine whether they are vertebrates and invertebrates. Use your stream to study aquatic insects and amphibians.
- Plant Classification (S5L1): Take a walking tour of a greenspace or your school grounds to learn about the parts of the plant, plant cell functions, and the differing characteristics of vascular and nonvascular plants.
- Fungi Hunt (S5L1): Go on a fungi hunt at your school or a nearby greenspace. Learn about the importance of fungi, how they differ from plants, and how they reproduce and grow.
Our Educators work with 1 class at a time to ensure quality instruction. Classes are generally 30 minutes, but we are flexible with your school's block schedule.
- Instruction Fee: $50/hr
- Prep Fee: $50
- Travel fee may be required for schools outside of the Metro Atlanta Area
- Additional cost for materials that will remain at the schools (plants, soil, taste test ingredients, etc.)
Book via: email@example.com