Are you interested in keeping backyard chickens? Consult the helpful resources below:
Events, Classes, and Meetups
• Homestead Atlanta offers a variety of chicken classes, including Chickens are Easy! , Chicken Coop Design and Chickens 102.
• Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group: Monthly meetups across the Metro area for people with backyard flocks. "ITP" group led by Coop Tour Chair Anne-Marie Anderson, meets 2nd Saturday of every other month, 3-4:30 pm. Good online discussion boards, including chicken ordinances.
• Conyers Backyard Poultry Club: Vibrant monthly gatherings to encourage poultry awareness in the community. Open to new and experienced chicken owners across the Metro area. Meets the first Sunday of each month at 4 pm.
- Nathan’s Ark Mobile Veterinarian: Dr Carol Tobias. Email: email@example.com. Phone; 404-218-2776. Home or office visits.
- For Pet’s Sake: 3761 N Druid Hills Rd, Decatur 30033. Phone: 404-248-8977
- All Creatures Animal Hospital: Dr Karolyn Akins, 2428-C Mt. Vernon Road, Dunwoody 30338. Phone: 770-393-3400
- Briarcliff Animal Hospital: Dr Shannon Turner, 1850 Johnson Road, NE, Atlanta 30306. Phone: 404-885-9704
- The Chicken Doctor: Phone/online. Peter Brown.
• Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks in Cities, Suburbs, and Other Small Spaces, Barbara Kilarski (Storey, 2003)
• City Chicks, Patricia Foreman Good Earth Publications, 2010)
• Chickens in Your Backyard: A Beginner’s Guide, Gail and Rick Luttman (Rodale, 1976)
• Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens, Gail Damerow (Storey, 1995) and The Chicken Health Handbook (Storey, 1994)
• The Small Scale Poultry Flock: Harvey Ussery (Chelsea Green, 2011)
Local chick/feed sources
- Intown ACE Hardware: 1404 Scott Boulevard, Decatur 30030. Phone: 404-378-6006. Feed and chick supplies
- Intown ACE Hardware: 854 N. Highland Ave. N.E., Atlanta 30306. Phone: 404-874-5619. Feed and their own chicken coop!
- Intown Healthy Hound: 891 Cherokee Avenue, Atlanta 30315. Phone: 404-228-3898. Feed & supplies.
- Farmer D Organics: 2154 Briarcliff Rd. Atlanta 30329. Phone: 404-325-0128. Feed, equipment and woodenware to order. chicks in early spring.
- Golden Farms: P.O. Box 94, Statham, GA 30666. Phone: 770-906-6510. Chicks & feed. Drop-offs in Atlanta
- Hunter's Hatchery: Blairsville, GA 30512. Phone: 706-897-1393. Chicks & fertilized eggs
- Kirkwood Feed & Seed Pet Supplies: 1998 Hosea Williams. Dr., Atlanta 30317. Phone: 404-378-2829. Feed & supplies.
- CityChick: Chicken and coop rentals, feed and supplies
- Moore Farms City Chicks Program: Chicks and guaranteed rooster return program
- The Stock Market: 4479 Highway 20 SE, Conyers, GA 30317. Phone: 770-483-8620. Chicks, feed, supplies, coops
- Rucker Horse and Pet: 3540 Keith Bridge Road, Cumming. Phone: 770-844-7275. Chicks in spring. "Chick kit."
- Standard Feed and Seed: 2339-R Brannen Rd, Atlanta 30316. Phone: 404-241-6922 (South access road off I-20 at Gresham Road). Feed & supplies. Chicks in spring.
- Tractor Supply Company: 1565 Highway 81 E, McDonough 30252. Phone; 770-914-2500. Feed, supplies, chicks and swaps
Online chick sources
• My Pet Chicken: order as few as three chicks, wide selection of breeds. Lots of care and other background information