Grow your own perennials from seed using a milk jug! Winter is the perfect time to start your perennials from seed. Use the temperatures and the power of the sun to grow strong and healthy plants outside using a milk jug. Students will learn the basics of Winter Sowing, and will also sow out 6 different full sun perennials.
Join Stephanie, our Executive Director, horticulturist and long-time seed enthusiast for a live hands-on demonstration of how to start your own seeds using a milk jug.
Students will learn how to convert their own 1-gallon clear milk or water jug into a greenhouse over Zoom. She will walk you through the steps and along the way, we will add soil, seeds, and water.
The final portion of the class, Stephanie will go over what you should do with your seedlings once they have germinated including a transplanting demo as well as basic tips for growing your perennials successfully.
(**See below for more information about materials & optional material kits available for purchase)
All registered participants will be contacted with a link to participate in this online webinar. Registrants must have a computer with an internet connection, web browsing capabilities, and sound to participate. Can’t find the email and the program is scheduled to begin? Be sure to check your spam folder!
Webinar will be held Saturday, January 15, 10-11:30 AM. Session limited to 100 pre-registered participants
$10 for General Public
$5 for Wylde Center Members (use promo code WYLDEMEMBER)
FREE for Current Educators (use promo code WYLDETEACHER)
*Please note* Materials are not included in the registration price.
Participants are asked to gather the materials below prior to the program:
– Plant labels: new, reused, or a yogurt cup cut into plant tag strips
– Paring knife, small kitchen knife
– Potting soil, pre-moistened
– 3 clear milk/water 1 gallon jugs
– 6 perennial seed varieties.
Don’t have time or need help gathering the materials?
We are offering two kit options:
1. Seeds only ($5) – You provide the milk jugs and potting soil, we provide the seeds that will be used for the program. You will receive 6 packs of seeds. Mailing is available if purchased by January 10.
2. Seed sowing kit ($10) – We provide the soil, milk jugs, and the seeds that will be used for this program. Mailing is not available for this kit. We are offering 40 kits that include soil, milk jugs, and the seeds that are available. Customers can pick up material kits at the Oakhurst Garden prior to the program. Those who purchase material kits will be contacted with pick up information the week of January 10th.
*Kits do not include: pencil sharpie, scissors, small kitchen knife.
1) I don’t have any seeds. Where can I find them?
You may either find them locally at a garden center (look for perennials) or order online.
2) What seeds should I look for?
You can get exactly what we will be using in the class or other perennials that look interesting to you.
3) What seeds should I not order to use for this class?
Flower annuals, vegetables.
All registered participants will be contacted via email with reminders the day before the program. Can’t find the email? Be sure to check your spam folder!
For any questions please contact email@example.com
This Wylde Garden Program is generously supported by PSA Essentials.