Lunch & Learn: Start your Fall Vegetable Garden from Seed (webinar)
August 14 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Grow your lettuce, kale, collards, broccoli, Asian green and other fall veggie transplants using a milk jug!
September is when we plant our fall vegetable garden and August is when you start seeds to grow your own transplants. It is fun, rewarding, and fabulous garden skill to grow your plants from seed.
Join Stephanie, our Executive Director, horticulturist, and long-time seed enthusiast for a live hands-on demonstration of how to start your own seeds using a milk jug. Students will learn how to convert their own 1-gallon clear milk or water jug into a greenhouse over Zoom (where else?!). She will walk you through the steps and along the way, we will add soil, seeds, and water. The final portion of the class, Stephanie will go over what you should do with your seedlings once they have germinated including a transplanting demo as well as basic tips for growing your vegetables successfully.
All registered participants will be contacted with a link to participate in this online webinar. Registrants must have a computer with an internet connection, web browsing capabilities, and sound to participate. Can’t find the email and the program is scheduled to begin? Be sure to check your spam folder!
- $10 for General Public
- $5 for Wylde Center Members (use promo code WYLDEMEMBER)
- FREE for Educators (use promo code WYLDETEACHER)
- *We ask that educators must have worked as a certified classroom or homeschool teacher before the COVID-19 outbreak to take advantage of the promotion.
- Plant labels: new, reused, or a yogurt cup cut into plant tag strips
- Paring knife, small kitchen knife
- Potting soil, pre-moistened
- 3 clear milk/water 1 gallon jugs
- 6 seed varieties. Choose from broccoli, lettuce, kale, collards, Swiss chard, Asian greens, kohlrabi
Need help gathering the materials? We are offering 25 kits that are available for an extra fee and available for pick-up at the Oakhurst Garden prior to the program. Those who purchase material kits will be contacted with pick up information the week of August 10th.